Brandon Chow and I founded Teknically in October 2013 and over the next 13 months had a remarkable journey.
Our product, Webplio, was a dashboard that simplified Google Analytics data for non-techy users. With different scoring algorithms, we could simplify data to base 100 scores and Siri-like natural language insights. With Webplio, anybody could understand their Google Analytics.
We thrived in Laurier Launchpad, won over $65,000 in national competitions and grants, hired brilliant University of Waterloo co-op students, was part of Google for Entrepreneurs Batch 2, and interviewed at Y Combinator.
We did hundreds of customer interviews to find the pain points small business owners have in understanding Google Analytics. We pioneered machine learning math techniques that let us pull insights from complex Google Analytics data sets.
The full story is covered over two posts (1, 2). Since going back to study computer science at University of Waterloo, I’ve continued to blog about what we learned with Teknically, share new books I’ve been reading, and my advice for other new founders.
Below is some promotional media from Teknically, Webplio, two of our winning pitches in competitions, and our mentions in national and tech press.
Canada Business Model $25,000 Winning Pitch
March 15, 2014. Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
International Business Model Semi-Finalist Pitch
May 2, 2014. Utah Valley Convention Center in Provo, Utah.
- Featured Company Profile - Ontario Centres of Excellence - March 17, 2016
- Laurier Business School Highlights to Alumni for 2014-2015 - Wilfrid Laurier University - April 23, 2015
- Five Canadian startups turn to Google for their big push - Financial Post - Oct 5, 2014
- Student entrepreneurs catch Google’s eye - The Globe and Mail - Sept 19, 2014
- Google for Entrepreneurs Cohort 2 set to launch in Communitech Hub - Communitech News - Sept 9, 2014
- 570 News #TechHour: The Inside Scoop on Google 4 Entrepreneurs at Communitech - 570 News - Sept 9, 2014
- Five New Startups Awarded Residency at the Google Innovation Space at Communitech - BetaKit - Sept 2, 2014
- Student entrepreneurs make semi-finals at international competition - The Globe and Mail - May 16, 2014
- Web analytics startup enjoys early success - The Waterloo Region Record - March 22, 2014
- Young entrepreneurs recognized - The Globe and Mail - March 20, 2014
- Laurier LaunchPad’s Teknically Wins 25K at Canadian Business Model Competition - Laurier Entrepreneur - March 19, 2014
- Wilfrid Laurier University Startup Teknically Wins Canada’s Business Model Competition - TechVibes - March 17, 2014
- Student Entrepreneurs Compete for Seat at Brigham Young - BMC Canada - March 16, 2014
- Six commerce students with big business ventures - The Globe and Mail - March 12, 2014
To learn more, check out the 4-part Teknically series on my blog: 1, 2, 3, 4
If this is the type of impact you want a software developer to have starting early 2018, let's chat. Email me at andrewparadi.com or check my resume.